Tuesday 1 May 2012

I managed to get some time on the bike so I pulled out the swing arm and rear shock to give them a good clean. I was expecting everything to be seized solid and was pleasantly surprised that everything came apart quite easily.
The gaping hole left after it came apart too easily! No centre stand so I had to use an old scissor jack, which worked better than a centre stand!
I spent about 30 minutes with a wire brush and a dremmel to get rid of all the crud and rust off the swing arm and shock. The small pile of rust and crud on the picture below is just a fraction of what came off it!
I wasn't going to paint the swing arm as it would look too new and not in keeping with the general scruffiness of the bike and my laziness!!
I also cleaned the chain and sprockets up as they look ok to still use. I also cleaned all the old oil off the rear wheel with petrol, making sure none of it got on the tyre!

I ground off the bits of metal on the rear foot peg holder/exhaust hanger so it's now just an exhaust hanger, I kept it as I like the holes, which is something I might do to the side panels!
It's not finished yet hence all the grind marks and marker pen as I might just take the corner off so it doesn't look too square. I forgot to take a before and after shot so all I have is after!!


No comments:

Post a Comment